Saturday, October 31, 2009

Is surgery for plantar fasciitis for a 13 year old the right choice after many months of treatment?

After many months it did go away but came back much worse about 2 months later. I am still wearing my splints and do the streches.
Answer:
When I was 13 suffering from that too..as well as a few other foot problems. The dr prescribed me arches, and made me do the exercises. I defintely thought about surgery, except he suggested I wait until my growth plate in my foot stopped growing, and boy am I ever glad I waited. I still have the pain and I still have to do stretches and wear inserts but it isn't even as half as bad as it was at that age. Give it time until its unbearable and ask your dr if its something you may "outgrow"
It depends on what your docter says, because my mom is 36 and she tore her ACL, and MCL, and asked the doc if she should get a knee replacement, and he said no, because she would have to get another one in 5-7 yrs., so it depends!!
See a good physical therapist. (Or see him/her again.) Some people end up needing the surgery, but I got rid of the pain by taking my PT's advice: wearing the proper shoes (boring shoes, for the most part, but I'll trade fashion for lack of pain), wearing the orthotics (prescription insoles) in the shoes, and doing the exercises. It took a good while, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Is there a © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net