Saturday, October 31, 2009

Is spinal menigitis contagious?

I have recently met a guy that has spinal menigitis, he got it when he was 19, now he's 26, and still has it. He has to get iv meds every 6 weeks, and is having vision problems from time to time. I was told he is not contagious, but after reading some info on menigitis, I am a bit concerned. I have 2 kids ages 7 %26 3 that he has been around, is this dangerous? Any help would be great!
Answer:
Yes, it can cause infertility in boys!!
Most people who have this condition end up dying very quickly. I'm very surprised that he's had it for 7 years...Is he sure its spinal meningitis? Perhaps you should look at his medical records or something or maybe do a background check on him even. I learned from a clinic at my university that this condition is contagious and that anyone who comes in contact with someone who has it, has a high chance of contracting it.
It is contagious, but people that get it usually do not live very long. Are you sure that it is what he says? 7 years is a long time to have it.
Are you sure he has Meningitis? I don't believe I've ever heard of a chronic case of meningitis. But assuming he does have that then you should know that meningitis is a symptom rather than a disease. Whether it's contagious or not depends on what causes it, there's bacterial meningitis, viral, and fungal. All of which can be treated. If it was contagious he'd probably be in a hospital being treated, and he ought to mention it.No matter what it is, chronic conditions are rarely contagious. The only ones that are, are STDs. Which are contagious in a sense. Hopefully not in any way that would effect your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Is there a © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net